If an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn’t recognized in iTunes on Windows, AMDS may need to be restarted.
How to restart AMDS
You might see the following error when connecting your device: "This [device] cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device Service is not started."
Follow these steps to restart AMDS:
- Close iTunes and disconnect any iPhone, iPad, or iPod that's currently connected.
- Access the Run command by simultaneously pressing the Windows logo key and the R key on your computer's keyboard.
- Type services.msc and click Ok. The services console should open.
- Right-click on Apple Mobile Device Service and click Properties in the shortcut menu.
- Set the Startup type pop-up menu to Automatic.
- Click Stop the service.
- After the service has stopped, click Start the service.
- Click Ok.
- Restart the computer.
- Open iTunes and connect the device.